RUSSIA & AMERICA GOODWILL ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Cornyn: Russia Scapegoating Neo-Con Scum

Go down

John Cornyn: Russia Scapegoating Neo-Con Scum Empty John Cornyn: Russia Scapegoating Neo-Con Scum

Post by captain ron Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am

Here is the form letter that I got from Cornyn. Typical Russia Scapegoating Deep State Scumbag. I will never vote for him again.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the United States’ policy toward Russia. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you may know, the Obama Administration announced its misguided policy to “reset” U.S.-Russia relations in February 2009. From its inception, I had serious concerns regarding this now-defunct policy. Russian actions in recent years have proven that Russia must take responsibility and work to improve relations with the United States. Russia’s ongoing land grabs and violations of Ukrainian sovereignty, the 2010 revelation and arrest of members of a Russian spy ring inside the United States, Russia’s opposition to proposed U.S. missile defenses in Europe, as well as Russia’s resistance to broad sanctions against Iran, support for the Assad regime in Syria and the bombing of innocent civilians in Aleppo, expanded ties with North Korea, and the reported interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election have clearly demonstrated that the Russian government’s policies and pursuits contradict U.S. national security and geopolitical goals.

When the atrocities in Syria began in 2011, I started pressing the Obama Administration to end all U.S. government business dealings with Rosoboronexport—the Russian state-owned arms broker that facilitates the Russian Federation’s arms transfers to Syria and which the United States previously sanctioned in 2007 for its reported role in helping Iran with the development of its nuclear program. I offered Senate Amendment 3260 to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 (P.L. 112-239), which was signed into law on January 2, 2013, and prohibits U.S. government funding for any further contracts or business agreements with Rosoboronexport. Although the Obama Administration subsequently skirted this law and procured additional Mi-17s for FY2013, I am pleased that the Department of Defense heeded my call and ceased the procurement of all additional Mi-17s, including 14 that were planned for FY2014. On September 3, 2015, the U.S. Government sanctioned Rosoboronexport, barring all future U.S. military purchases with the company, and on June 22, 2016, the State Department announced Rosoboronexport had violated the Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act (P. L. 109–353) and placed additional sanctions on the arms dealer.

Most recently, several agencies of the U.S. Intelligence Community jointly assessed that the Russian government orchestrated the hacking of the Democratic National Committee and other organizations of the Democratic Party in the year prior to the 2016 presidential election, releasing thousands of stolen emails. I support the bipartisan congressional probe of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, including investigating former national security adviser Michael Flynn’s interactions with the Russian ambassador. As a member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, I am pleased this committee is conducting a robust, independent review of Russian interference in the election and will keep your comments in mind as the inquiry moves forward. Ensuring U.S. elections remain transparent, fair, and free of foreign influence is essential for the future of our democracy. Russian actions that seek to undermine American public confidence in the electoral process must have consequences. The United States must also increase its defensive cybersecurity capabilities to protect against states and individuals who wish to do us harm, such as stealing intellectual property from U.S. businesses and compromising our national security.

Finally, the Russian government’s respect for the rule of law and human rights has further degraded in recent years. According to the Department of State, Russia has engaged in attacks and killings of journalists, arbitrary detention and politically motivated imprisonments, and infringement on freedoms of speech and expression. There is also evidence of widespread corruption throughout the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the Russian government. We cannot turn a blind eye to these deep-seated problems.

For this reason, I was proud to cosponsor the Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2011, which was signed into law as part of the Russia and Moldova Jackson Vanik Repeal and Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act (P.L. 112-208) on December 14, 2012. This legislation directs the Secretary of State to impose sanctions against individuals responsible for extrajudicial killings, torture, and other human rights violations committed against individuals seeking to promote human rights in Russia or expose illegal activity and corruption by Russian Federation officials.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as these matters are discussed. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

captain ron

Back to top Go down